It must be so hard to be a screenwriter hawking an original script round Hollywood these days. The next Blade Runner, the next Godfather, the next Gladiator… hell, the next Star Wars, could be out there somewhere, carried hopefully in a folder to meeting after meeting, or doomed beneath a tottering slush piles in an executive’s office.
Hollywood doesn’t want originality right now. It wants scripts with built-in ready-to-serve audiences. It wants reboots, reshoots, reimagined, rewritten, sequel, prequel, threequel, franchise fodder, join the dots, templated, derivative drivel.
You can keep your original scripts; they want origin stories.
I took a quick peek at the film news on Empire magazine’s website. I shook my head and looked away. Here’s what’s on the way:
- Kelsey Grammer Talks Transformers 4
- Will Smith In Talks For Independence Day Sequel?
- Robocop Reboot Trailer Online
- Dwayne Johnson Will Be The Fall Guy
- Alan Taylor In Talks To Direct New Terminator
- Ice Cube Confirmed For 22 Jump Street
- Warner Bros. Revisit Island Of Dr Moreau
- Moomins To Star In First Feature Film
So that’s FOUR sequels, TWO reboots, ONE film version of an ’80s TV show and ONE possible franchise! (If you’re interested here’s the link to them.)
They’re right when they say there’s nothing new under the sun, but – jeez! – it’s very dark in Tinseltown when it comes to fresh ideas.